Sunday, April 28, 2013

Oscar Gamble's Afro

I have been in a seasonal affective-type funk that has left me bereft of words for months.  Thankfully the sun shines again and the thermometer has pushed north of sixty degrees.  This time of year for me means baseball and baseball takes me back to the days of my youth, days when I couldn't wait to scrounge up a quarter to run to the Stop-N-Go store and pick up a pack of baseball cards.  The Brewers were just getting good, my parents just let me ride my bike to the store alone, and the faces on the cards were larger than life, residents of an earthly Valhalla, gods battling for the supremacy of a child's universe.  Oh yeah, and being a curly, unruly-haired kid subject to taunts of "Shirley Temple" from the straight-haired fascist machine, one such hero to me for no other reason than his astonishing coif was Oscar Gamble.



Bask in the glory of this magnificent gravity defying, Man-rebuking, self-confident celebration of kinky hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment